20 Best Resource Management Tools for Your Business
Effective resource management can be the difference between sizable and non-existent profit margins. And one of the best ways to optimize your organization’s performance on this front is through resource management software. But with so many different solutions out there, it can get overwhelming quickly.
This comprehensive list of resource management software will provide valuable insight into what might work for your company. Every solution on this list:
- Has unique features that stand out from other resource management tools;
- Is by a trustworthy provider and offers regular updates.
What is resource management and why it’s important?
Resource management is defined as the process of using the company’s resources (e.g., equipment, money, time, and employees) in the most efficient way. And in the scope of project management, it refers to the planning, tracking, and optimizing the utilization of resources for successful project completion.
Project resource management is important because it:
- gives an overview of everyone and everything involved in your project;
- ensures successful timelines by analyzing each resource;
- makes the planning process more transparent;
- helps you act proactively in the event of any problems occur.
Scoro provides turnkey software solutions to help streamline the many facets involved with resource management. These include planning time and work, scheduling resources (e.g., meeting rooms and tools), and giving you an instant visual overview of everyone’s workload.
- Real-time customizable KPI dashboard
- Project progress reports
- Time tracking and billing for work
- Pre-set templates for quoting and invoicing
- Contact management
What’s Special About this tool: Scoro is straightforward when it comes to usability – but it’s intricately designed to manage all aspects of your business in one place. Furthermore, this software has reporting capabilities that far eclipse anything on the market.
Pricing: Starting at $26 per month.
Meisterplan is an interactive resource management software dedicated to helping management align its project portfolio to strategy.
- Scenario simulation that allows you to react to changing circumstances
- Resource conflict resolution
- Portfolio-level planning features
What’s Special About this Tool: With interactive and fast scenario simulations, you can quickly react to changes and make informed decisions.
Pricing: Starting at $199 per month.
Float helps teams plan projects, schedule resources, and oversee their capacity. Fast scheduling and easy-to-use editing tools make resource planning intuitive and straightforward.
- Sets projects based on time and fees
- Incredibly fast interface
- Drag-and-drop reassignment tool
- An accurate, single view of resources
What’s Special About this Tool: Float’s integrations connect seamlessly with your existing tools and apps. With Jira or Teamwork, you can sync and schedule your projects.
Pricing: From $5 person/month for basic resource management
LiquidPlanner is used by many manufacturing, development, and technology teams because it provides an excellent way to plan and execute work.
- Project management dashboard
- Predictive resource-based technology
- Scheduling technology that allows teams to focus on the right work at the right time
What’s Special About this Tool: While it’s primarily a project management tool, LiquidPlanner takes a resource-based approach to how it schedules and prioritizes. It even accounts for unpredictable scenarios.
Pricing: From $45 user/month
5. Resource Guru
By purchasing Resource Guru, you’ll benefit from a highly responsive solution that allows you to schedule people, equipment, and a wealth of other online resources.
- Visibility of the full team on one calendar
- Drag and drop scheduling
- Offers a “leave management” solution to handle vacations, sick days, and maternity leave
- Provides a clash-management system that prevents overbookings
What’s Special About this Tool: Resource Guru is incredibly diverse with its offerings, but its in-depth reporting allows users to monitor utilization rates and plan capacity. Moreover, there’s no need to install software—nor do you need to train your team on how to use this savvy resource management tool.
Pricing: From $2.50 person/month + extra for non-human resources
ClickTime improves your tracking, planning, and management of your employee’s time. It helps you enhance operations and boost employee productivity through its straightforward timesheets that can be accessed anywhere.
- Real-Time answers from crucial workplace functions
- Customized time tracking solutions depending on the client
- Budget management tools
What’s Special About this Tool: Whether on a laptop or phone, you can easily track time, approve employee hours, or dive into dashboards and reports.
Pricing: From $24 person/month for resource planning
7. Kimble PSA
Kimble PSA helps professional services organizations run their businesses better, optimizing resource allocation, profitability, and business scalability by aligning teams around essential processes.
- Factors in future pipeline capacity
- Comprehensive availability management tracks absences and free time
- Balances required skills with available resources
- Geolocation and detailed assignment schedules
What’s Special About this Tool: Kimble aims to maximize its users’ billable utilization. It does this by clarifying the right person for open assignments and what’s needed to successfully satisfy future demand.
Pricing: Only available upon request.
Epicflow has designed an add-on meant to resolve resource conflicts, prioritizing workplace tasks depending on the highest demand.
- Comprehensive resource overview
- Resource load-tracking
- “What-If analysis” and predictive algorithms that detect potential bottlenecks
- Integrates with workplace tools of your choosing
What’s Special About this Tool: Epicflow’s historical load graph provides a ratio of your load alongside your team’s output. This feature helps you accurately analyze their performance.
Pricing: Only available upon request.
9. Active Collab
Active Collab Workload offers a real-time overview of what people are working on – see each person’s capacity and deliver a workload schedule that fits their strengths and availability.
- Create tasks with multiple users and deadlines
- Filter by users and teams
- Split assigned work into tasks
- Track time and billing
What’s special about this tool: Active Collab improves the team’s collaboration and makes it more fun.
Pricing: From $6.25 user/month
Precursive is a resource management app combining scheduling, timesheets, and reporting in one easy-to-use space.
- Allocate work quicker and more successfully with resource scheduling
- Real-time project accounting to manage budgets, costs, and margins
- Reporting and analytics to make more informed decisions
What’s Special About this Tool: Precursive offers optimal flexibility and boasts a highly responsive and helpful support team ready to help as soon as you make a request.
Pricing: From $60 per month for a package with resource management.
11. Hub Planner
Hub Planner’s resource management is only one of many business functionalities found in the solution. This versatile workplace tool is ideal for small, medium, and enterprise-level businesses.
- Drag-and-drop resource scheduling
- Vacation management
- Resource requesting
What’s Special About this Tool: Hub Planner has many plusses, but its analytic reports and dashboards are worth checking out.
Pricing: Starting at $7 per resource per month.
12. Klient PSA (previously Krow)
Klient PSA’s goals are for customer-centric purposes. Still, its robust resource management capabilities pay significant dividends with onboarding and implementation.
- Built-in status reports and customer health checks
- Resource schedule tracking
- Seamless scheduling with the press of a button
What’s Special About this Tool: The resource planning capability of Klient is one of many moving parts, but it’s been intuitively designed to bolster it’s standing as a PSA.
Pricing: Starting at $29 per month.
Binocs resource management software optimizes and streamlines resource utilization based on updated capacity and demand data.
- Scalable and secure technology that can support companies as they grow
- Dedicated master data management screens
- A single data source that lets everyone work from the same set of information
What’s Special About this Tool: Binocs is continually tweaking, adjusting, and adding features to keep up with client demands. They’ll work with you to adapt their product based on your unique set of needs.
Pricing: Available upon request.
14. eResource Scheduler
eResource Scheduler enables and empowers organizations to efficiently schedule & plan their resources on projects, events, and jobs.
- Cloud-based resource scheduling
- Configurable fields, forms, filters, and views
- Gantt chart view and drag and drop features
- Profoundly insightful utilization & availability reports
What’s Special About this Tool: eResource Scheduler boasts a dashboard with informative widgets that present critical numbers and data. It does so in graphs that are easy to digest and understand.
Pricing: Starting at $4 resource/month.
15. ONEPOINT Projects
ONEPOINT offers project-oriented organizations features that increase portfolio transparency, shorten project lead times, and enhance resource utilization.
- Visual resource leveling is based on an overall resource utilization view
- Graphical utilization views
- A resource histogram
- Drag-and drop what-if planning allows you to move projects in time or hide them for each scenario
What’s Special About this Tool: When using ONEPOINT, breaking out resourcing for the different phases of the project is convenient and straightforward.
Pricing: Free options for small teams, paid plans from €23.90 person/month.
Ganttic is a resource planning software for scheduling people, projects, facilities and equipment. Its flexible interface makes it easy to customize the tool to your needs.
- Track task, project and resource history
- Advanced task timing for accurate time tracking
- Drag and drop tasks and create dependencies
What’s Special About this Tool: You can sync Ganttic with Google Calendar and leave notes in the app to collaborate with your team.
Pricing: Free options, paid plans from $25 per month
Journyx is an enterprise resource management, allocation, and scheduling software solution that will improve your project cost accounting by estimating and tracking at the resource level.
- Quick access to critical reports
- Dynamic project-tracking dashboards
- Integrates with Microsoft Dynamics, Microsoft Project, QuickBooks, and many more programs
- Mobile time tracking
- Real-time data projections
What’s Special About this Tool: User-friendliness is at the forefront of advantages which come with using Journyx PX. It’s said to be one of the more straightforward timekeeping apps on the market.
Pricing: From $12 user/month
Kelloo is a portfolio level resource planning solution that’s uncomplicated to use and seamless to implement.
- Capacity planning that forecasts and models resource needs
- Scenario modeling helps you decide whether it’s wise to take on new work
- Resource conflicts can be identified across multiple projects
What’s Special About this Tool: One of the more enticing features offered by Kelloo is the resource heat map that shows utilization rates. It is color-coded to display which resources are being overutilized and which can be further allocated.
Pricing: Starts at $137.50 per month.
19. Resource Hero
Resource Hero’s mission is to help its users save time on data entry and report generation. It also wants organizations to utilize resources more effectively and obtain potentially profitable business insights.
- Real-time employee availability
- Weekly hour forecasts with a spreadsheet-like interface
- Daily, weekly, and monthly views are available to add notes for forecasting
- Automated Salesforce security access to control who sees what
- Target rates and utilization can be individualized for specific employees
What’s Special About this Tool: Resource Hero is a one-stop-shop solution that offers businesses a multitude of tools, including one with good resource management capabilities.
Pricing: From $11 person/month.
Retain is a resource planning and scheduling platform which gives an instant overview of the allocation of projects to individual staff members.
- Drag and drop booking capabilities
- A duplication tool that saves time on bookings
- Demand forecasting creates scenarios and ghost bookings to help predict future scenarios
What’s Special About this Tool: Retain’s solution allows organizations to customize their own metrics so that the data they receive is relevant to their unique specifications.
Pricing: Available upon request.