29 Project Management Tools for Creative and Marketing Agencies
Looking for a project management tool to manage your company?
Many marketing and creative agencies still manage their projects on Excel spreadsheets – using technology that’s ten years behind ten years ago.
Increasingly, agencies look for business management software that helps to outline every task in the project, collaborate with the team, and get an overview of customers and billing. Just like every creative agency has its niche and strong suits, so do creative project management software and tools.
Take a look at the list of 29 project management tools and see what makes each of these special. In the end, you might find the perfect tool for your own creative team.
Every creative project management software listed here:
- Is relatively easy to use with little setup time
- Has unique features that stand out from other creative PM software
- Is by a trustworthy provider, with regular updates and high security
Scoro combines project management with CRM and billing so that agencies need one tool instead of five different ones.
- Projects with tasks and deadlines
- Project scheduling mode
- Customizable project management dashboard
- Detailed reporting and tracking metrics
- Time entries and billing for time
- Invoices and quoting with pre-set templates
- CRM and sales pipeline management
- Client and billing data attached to each project
What’s special about this tool: Scoro is more comprehensive than many other task and project management tools, including CRM, billing, and media planning. It is perfect for agencies that need to frequently bill their clients for work and projects.
Pricing: from $22 user/month for complete agency management
Get a 14-day free trial here.
Trello is known for visualizing project tasks on a cardboard-like dashboard that’s great fo managing short and quick everyday assignments.
- Task management on a cardboard
- Creating multiple task lists
- Attach pictures and files to tasks
- Organizing lists by date or priority
- Commenting on cards
What’s special about this tool: Trello has a highly visual interface, making daily task management fun and intuitive. It is great for small teams with no complex projects.
Pricing: Trello is a free tool, with paid pricing for Business and Enterprise plans
Check out this Trello alternative!
Asana combines elements of project management, file storage, and collaboration and helps to manage projects across a team without email.
- Projects with multiple users, tasks, and subtasks
- Real-time interaction with team
- Commenting on projects and tasks
- Notifications about projects updates
- Attachments under projects
- In-app inbox for faster communication
What’s special about this tool: Asana is a really easy-to-use tool with a simplistic layout. If you’re a small team with unsophisticated projects, check it out.
Pricing: Free for up to 15 members, Premium from $8.33 user/month.
Check out this Asana alternative!
Workzone was built by experienced ad executives with the goal of helping agencies and creative teams bring more visibility into their work.
- Personalized, individual to-do lists
- Create subtasks and task dependencies
- Set permissions for certain users (including clients) to access projects, tasks and files
- Quickly see statuses with Gantt charts
- Assign people to more than one task
What’s special about this tool: Workzone has a lot of powerful features but is easier to use than more complex project tools. Workzone is meant for the whole team to use.
Pricing: $24-$44 per month
Redmine is an open source project management tool, made highly flexible by its volunteer community.
- Gantt chart and calendar for planning
- News, documents & files management
- Project Estimation Management
- Permission Management
- Payroll Management
- Report Analysis
- Feeds & email notifications
- Time tracking
What’s special about this tool: Redmine is an open-source tool and has multilanguage support. To use the tool, you first need to download it.
The darling of project management community, Basecamp has won thousands of users’ hearts.
- Projects with multiple users and tasks
- Message boards for discussing a project or idea
- In-app team collaboration
- Reporting on project performance
- Separate dashboard for showing to clients
- Email and desktop notifications
What’s special about this tool: Basecamp takes only 10 minutes to set up and is super easy to use. This same simplicity might start to limit more complex projects and restrict efficient collaboration.
Price: $29/month for unlimited users
Float combines team scheduling with a simple and easy-to-use interface to keep track of everyone’s schedule.
- Task scheduling
- Planning on a visual interface
- Setting individual availabilities
- Simple reporting
What’s special about this tool: While Float doesn’t include features for CRM and invoicing, its a perfect tool for anyone who needs to keep track of the team’s schedule.
Pricing: up to 10 people $29/month, up to 30 people $55/month, up to 100 people $250/month,
DoInbound is designed specifically for inbound marketing agency project management, helping to streamline campaigns, deliverables, and tasks in a beautifully designed system.
- Campaign management and planning
- Deliverables to know what need to be accomplished
- Deliverable templates
- Tasks are broken into smaller steps for easier implementation
- All packages include training and pre-built templates from a real inbound agency
What’s special about this tool: DoInbound focuses on the needs of inbound agencies that work on campaigns. It is designed specifically to meet the agencies’ needs.
Pricing: Basic plan $1800/year, Jumpstart plan $4000/year, Growth plan $6500/year; all packages include training
Workbook outlines everything there is to know about your creative or marketing agency, be it projects, customers or budgeting.
- Planning projects in Gantt charts
- Saving files to projects and commenting on them
- Client portal for collaborating with clients
- Creating quotes and invoices
- CRM with activities, follow-up lists, and pipeline forecasting
- Comprehensive accounting features and reporting
What’s special about this tool: Whatever tool you need for agency management, Workbook has it all covered. If there’s something that might disappoint you, it’s the user interface.
Pricing: Starting at $19 user/month (for the minimum of 15 users), but depends on the features and add-ons you’d like to be included
TrafficLIVE has the mission to free agency teams’ time for the thing they do best – creative projects.
- Project dashboards with reports on time spent, money, deliveries, etc.
- Splitting and assigning tasks
- Custom rates that can be applied to new client projects
- Planning resources and time
- Contact management
What’s special about this tool: TrafficLIVE gives a great overview of projects, schedules, and helps to manage expenses and billing. And it’s pricing is a big secret to all of us!
Pricing: Not available
Harvest breathes new life into marketing agencies’ time tracking and billing processes, making it easier to bill customers based on completed projects.
- Time tracking from any browser, Mac, iPhone, or Android
- Creating estimates and invoices based on work time
- Real-time reports on time spent
- integrations for tracking time across all your favourite project management tools
What’s special about this tool: Harvest is a time billing tool rather than project management software. Still, it helps thousands of creative agencies with project tracking and simple time billing.
Pricing: Solo plan (up to 3 users) 1st user $12 /month + $10/month for each additional user, Basic plan (5 to 9 users) 1st 5 users $49 /month + $10/month for each additional user, Business plan (for 10+ users) 1st 10 users $99 /month + $10/month for each additional user
With a simple user interface and helpful project management features, FunctionFox has all it takes to make a great marketing project management tool.
- Projects with tasks and milestones
- Comparing estimated budgets with actual figures
- Calendar view for scheduling meetings and tasks
- Interactive real-time reports
- To-do lists and time tracking
What’s special about this tool: FunctionFox lets users create a beautifully visualized dashboard that can be customized according to personal preferences.
Pricing: Classic plan $5 user/month ($35/m for 1st user), Premier plan (advanced project management) $10 user/month, In-House plan for creative teams $15 user/month
12. Hub Planner
Hub Planner helps project managers to plan and schedule the team’s time and resources.
- Booking resources on a grid view
- Time tracking and time sheets
- Tracking holidays and sick days
- Flexible workflow with admin approvals
- Team dashboard with reports
What’s special about this tool: Hub Planner focuses on resource planning and helps to bring more efficiency to time and resource management through detailed reporting.
Pricing: Basic plan $7 user/month, Premium for $18 user/month
13. Microsoft Project
Microsoft Project helps to streamline project, resource, and portfolio management. This project tool is used by 20+ million users.
- Project scheduling & costing
- Resource management
- Reporting & business intelligence
- Built-in project templates
- Project timelines
What’s special about this tool:
Pricing: From $30 month/user for cloud platform, from $1,159 for on-premise software (for one PC)
Check out this Microsoft Project alternative!
14. 10,000ft Plans
10,000ft Plans is a visually oriented project management application with strong suites in resource planning and forecasting.
- Resource management and planning interface
- Project and task management
- Assigning tasks to team members
- Project and resource matching
- Reporting on project time, fees and expenditures
- Time tracking and reporting on fees
What’s special about this tool: 10,000ft gives a broad overview of every project, making it easier to schedule, plan, and estimate the outcome. With a beautiful interface, this tool is suitable for creative agencies of all sizes.
Pricing: Basic plan (for small teams with no specific integration or IT requirements. $10 user/month, Professional plan $20 user/month, Enterprise plan $45 user/month
FunctionPoint is one of the most comprehensive marketing agency project management tools that covers the tools required by creative agencies’ project teams as well as accounting and customer service departments.
- Project and task scheduling
- Time tracking and time sheets
- CRM and client portal
- Estimate approvals and change requests
- Proposals with pre-set templates
- Invoicing and budget reports
What’s special about this tool: FunctionPoint is designed specifically for creative agencies and wants to make workflow management more efficient and instinctive.
Pricing: Small agencies (5-39 users) $34 user/month, medium agencies (40-99 users) $21 user/month, large agencies (100+ users) $17 user/month. If you’re an agency with 30-40 users, the medium plan might be a cheaper option!
Teamweek is a timeline-based project management tool that lets teams schedule their upcoming tasks and meetings into a shared calendar.
- Simple Gantt-chart interface
- Drag-and-drop task management
- Scheduling work ahead
- Seeing team members’ availability
What’s special about this tool: Teamweek serves as an add-on to more comprehensive project management tools, making time-scheduling super easy.
17. Teamwork Projects
Teamwork Projects enhances team collaboration and helps creative teams to organize their work and tasks.
- Project planning on Gantt charts
- Task lists with milestones and sub-tasks
- Time tracking and reporting on time spent
- Customizable features on each project
- Comprehensive user permissions
- Attaching files to projects
What’s special about this tool: Teamwork Projects is easy to use and feature rich. The tool integrates seamlessly with Teamwork.com’s other two products; Teamwork Desk and Teamwork Chat. This means you can manage your entire business using just one software tool.
Pricing: Startup plan (up to 15 projects) $24/month, Small Office plan (up to 40 projects) $49/month, Office plan (up to 85 projects) $99/month, Business plan (up to 500 projects) $249/month
Check out this Teamwork Projects Alternative.
Whether you’re a digital, marketing, full service or in-house agency, Advantage will help run your office with many helpful features.
- Scheduling, Gantt charts, timelines, and calendar
- Tracking expenses
- Collaboration and file sharing
- Creating schedules according to templates
- CRM with company profiles and activity summary
- Accounting and budget forecasting
- Burn rate charts and a risk analysis summary
- Manager dashboard with data on cash balance, fees, and forecasting
What’s special about this tool: The major difference between Advantage and most PM systems is that it includes full financials/billing and media buying planning.v
Pricing: Available on demand
19. Active Collab
Active Collab outlines all projects on a simple dashboard, bringing structure to creative project management.
- Creating tasks with multiple users and deadlines
- Task filtering based on user, dates and labels
- Commenting under tasks and update notifications
- Gantt-like timeline for planning
- Shared team calendar
- Time tracking and invoice management
What’s special about this tool: Active Collab has a simple yet well-designed interface. Every user can set a custom theme for their platform for quick personalization.
Pricing: 5 members $25/month, 15 members $49/month, 30 members $99/month, 60 members $199/month, unlimited members $299/month
20. Zoho Projects
One of the best-known tools for simple project management, Zoho Projects can help marketing teams streamline their upcoming work and tasks.
- Task lists with multiple tasks and milestones
- Time tracking and time sheets
- Gantt charts to oversee project progress
- Cardboard-like grid to monitor all tasks
- Collaboration, team intranet, and shared calendar
- Document and file management
- Dependency management
What’s special about this tool: Zoho projects can be integrated with Zoho CRM and other tools to manage almost every aspect of your agency in one system.
Pricing: Express plan (up to 20 projects) $25/month, Premium plan (up to 50 projects) $50/month, Enterprise plan (unlimited projects) $99/month; CRM and other additional features come with extra price.
21. iMeet Central
iMeet Central helps to organize files, projects and communications in a centralized work environment.
- Automated project setup, roles, and assignments
- Branded workspaces per project or campaign
- Submitting briefs and work orders online
- Organizing projects by account, project or campaign
- Tracking client feedback, decisions, and sign-offs
- Inline comments on creative work
What’s special about this tool: As you can see from the features, iMeet Central has amazing features for collaborating with customers and running campaigns.
Pricing: Enterprise plan (10 users minimum) $25 user/month, Marketers + Agencies plan (10 users minimum) $45 user/month
ProjectManager.com is an online PM suite that contains all of the tools needed to complete projects, marketing or rocket science, efficiently and effectively.
- Easy-to-use Gantt chart
- Workload management
- Real-time project dashboard
- Intuitive reporting
- Key security features
What’s special about this tool: ProjectManager.com is designed to be a comprehensive online tool that can be utilized by any type or size of team or projects.
Pricing: Team plan (up to 10 users) $20/user/month, Business plan (up to 20 users) $15/user/month, Group (50 users) $15/user/month
ProofHub offers a replacement for conventional emailing and a bunch of other tools, integrating multiple project management features under one roof.
- User roles
- Online team discussions
- Task dependencies and delegating
- Reporting and tracking project history
- File storaging
What’s special about this tool: ProofHub has a simple and well-designed user experience that helps to make the team collaborate more closely.
Pricing: Individual plan (up to 10 projects) $20/month, Startup plan (up to 40 projects) $50/month, Unlimited plan (unlimited projects) $150/month
24. Project Management System
Project Management System is a responsive solution that covers all the basic requirements of creative teams.
- Projects and task management
- Admin dashboard for a quick overview
- Reporting or work and projects
- Project Estimation Management
- Commenting on tasks and notifications
What’s special about this tool: PMS is more admin-based than the average tools. It is great for an overview of teamwork but doesn’t do much to enhance communication between the entire team.
Pricing (that’s an interesting one): $15/hour or $3000/month
Brightpod is an excellent tool for enhancing teamwork and overseeing operations. Team can create projects, called Podds, which are complemented with tasks and milestones.
- Projects with tasks, priorities, and milestones
- Cardboard layout for task management
- Editorial calendar
- Logging time under each task
- Individual dashboards for team members
- In-app communication and file-sharing
What’s special about this tool: When creating a project (or Pod) with Brightpod, users can choose between Pod templates for a faster set-up and customized project experience.
Pricing: Professional (up to 15 projects)l $29/month, Studio (up to 45 projects) $59/month, Agency (unlimited projects) $100/month
Weekdone is a weekly reporting and goal setting tool than enables managers and leaders to get a clear overview about both short- and long-term progress.
- Weekly status reporting
- Quarterly Objectives and Key Results (OKRs)
- Graphical metric dashboard
- Private 1-on1 feedback
What’s special about this tool: When most tools focus on either weekly status reporting or long-term goal-setting, Weekdone does both. It allows employees to link their weekly tasks with quarterly objectives so you can be sure that employees focus on important things.
Pricing: free for small teams, $49/month for teams of 10 people,$49/month for teams of 10 people $115/month for up to 25 users.
Redbooth lets you manage your projects the way you want, with kanban boards or lists to organize tasks, and time tracking to see where your day goes. Or, if you’re not sure where to start, there’s a library of project templates to start your projects out in a click.
- Simple task and project management
- Shared virtual team workspaces
- Visual project planning
- HD video conferencing
- Productivity reports for managers and team leaders
- iOS or Android application
What’s special about this tool: Unlike most PM tools, Redbooth’s business package gives you everything you need to see and hear your team members no matter where they are – with an unlimited high-def video conferencing, direct messaging, voice calling and business chat.
Pricing: $5 user/month for a Pro plan, $15 user/month for a Business plan
Highrise is the just-right, more thoughtful way to keep track of the people, conversations, and tasks that are the lifelines of your business
- Store important emails
- Attach documents and files
- Control who sees what with easy privacy settings
- Keep track of important tasks
- Assign tasks to team members
What’s special about this tool: Highrise was designed to simplify your workflow, no more, no less – as simple as that!
Pricing: From $24/month for small teams, from $49/month for larger teams
Check out this Highrise Alternative!
LiquidPlanner is a project management tool great for teams with extensive time-tracking requirements, initially built for technology teams.
- Estimating a realistic range of time to complete tasks
- Resource management/scheduling screen
- Note feature for adding possible obstacles to projects
- Commenting on tasks and activities
- Task-specific communication boards
What’s special about this tool: LiquidPlanner has a different methodology for creative project management – it helps teams to set realistic deadlines based on best-case and worst-case scenarios.
Pricing: Standard plan (up to 50 projects) $29 user/month, Professional (includes dashboards and up to 300 projects) $39 user/month
- 79-point Guide to Getting Started with New Software
- 46 Best Project Management Software and Tools
- Tools, Tips and Hacks to Take Team Collaboration to a Whole New Level
As always, we want to hear your comments and experiences with creative project management tools in the comments below!