42 Best Project Management Software and Tools (2019 Update)
Looking for the best project management software for your company? You’re in luck! We’ve made the task easier and combined 42 project software and tools in one comprehensive list.
Check out the tools’ top features, pricing, and what’s special about them – and find a solution fit for your business.
Scoro is a comprehensive solution that combines all the features you might need in project management software: projects & tasks, contact management, quotes, team collaboration, billing, and reporting.
- Projects with sub-tasks and deadlines
- Real-time KPI dashboard
- Shared team calendar & meeting scheduling
- Contact management
- Time tracking and billing for work
- Detailed reports on project progress and finances
- Quoting and invoicing with pre-set templates
What’s special about this tool: Scoro helps to streamline your entire work progress, so you don’t need to use a lot of different tools for every task. All your important information is stored in one central place.
Pricing: From $26 user/month
ProofHub offers a replacement for conventional emailing and a bunch of other tools, integrating multiple project management features under one roof.
- Assigned user roles
- Online team discussions and chats
- Task delegating and assignments
- Reporting and tracking project history
- Secure file storage
What’s special about this tool: ProofHub has a simple and well-designed user interface that helps the team to collaborate more efficiently.
Pricing: From $20/month (up to 10 projects) to $150/month (unlimited projects)
Basecamp is the preferred tool for thousands of project management teams, who enjoy its modern social media-like interface and carefree team collaboration features.
- Projects to manage multiple users’ work
- Message boards for discussing new projects or ideas
- In-app collaboration with team
- Reporting on project performance
- Separate dashboard for showing to clients
- Email and desktop notifications
What’s special about this tool: Basecamp is free for teachers and students!
Price: $99/month for unlimited users
Asana combines elements of project management, file storage, and collaboration and helps to manage projects across a team without email.
- Break your work down into tasks, and assign it to team members
- Organize your tasks into projects for roadmaps and timelines
- Review milestones, and check on your team’s progress
- Get notified about projects updates
- Use project dashboards to get a quick overview
What’s special about this tool: Asana is a really easy-to-use tool with a simplistic layout. If you’re a small team with not too complex projects, check it out.
Pricing: Free for up to 15 members, Premium from $8.33 user/month
Check out this Asana alternative!
Podio is a flexible and highly customizable online hub for work and team communication.
- Assign tasks, attach files and discuss details within the solution
- Share encrypted & large files
- Automate the sales pipelines, project budget tracking, and more
- Get an overview of the company with visual dashboards
- Automate your workflows
What’s special about this tool: Podio’s workflows feature enables you to add if-this-then-that logic to Podio apps. For example, instruct your app to create a task or comment, when an item is created or when a particular update is made to an item.
Pricing: From 24$ month/user for full suite of features
Workzone was built by experienced ad execs who wanted to help agencies and creative teams get visibility into all of their work.
- Personalized, individual to-do lists
- Create subtasks and task dependencies
- Set permissions for certain users (including clients) to access projects, tasks and files
- Quickly see statuses with Gantt charts
- Assign people to more than one task
What’s special about this tool: Workzone has a lot of powerful features but is simpler to use than more complex tools. Workzone is meant for the whole team to use.
Pricing: $24-$44 per month
JIRA is a cross-platform issue and bug tracking software with advanced project management capabilities and features.
- Create user stories and issues, plan sprints
- Distribute tasks across your software team.
- Prioritize and discuss your team’s work
- Centralize your team communication
- See real-time reporting on your team’s work
What’s special about this tool: JIRA is designed for software development teams, making it the perfect IT project management tool.
Pricing: Starting from $10/month (up to 10 users), $75/month for 15 users, $300/month for 50 users.
Notion will give you a completely different take on project management. It helps to plan and discuss projects, share everything with the team, and keep track of all the ideas.
- Keep a personal weekly checklist
- Take notes
- Build a task board with flexible drag and drop editor
- Share files
- Nest pages inside each other – like an infinite knowledge base
What’s special about this tool: “Notion is like the LEGO set for collaboration software (or Minecraft, if you are from a younger generation). It lets you assemble workflows that work best for your team, as easy as using a text editor.” – Ivan Zhao, Co-founder of Notion
Pricing: $8 user/month
EventCollab is a cloud-based software that helps to collaborate, share project schedules and documents, track time, assign tasks, chat, and more.
- Dashboard gives you a high-level view of every active event you’re involved with
- Seamlessly connect everyone involved in your projects, including all external contractors and vendors
- Collaborate with your team in real-time, whether editing a document or strategizing over a chat
What’s special about this tool: EventCollab is designed specifically for planning and producing events, conferences, trade shows and meetings, from start to finish.
Pricing: From $20/month
Trello is known for visualizing project tasks on a cardboard-like dashboard that’s great fo managing short and quick everyday assignments.
- Simple task management on a cardboard
- Creating unlimited task lists
- Image and file sharing
- Organizing lists by dates or priority
- Commenting and collaboration
What’s special about this tool: From startups to Fortune 500 companies, Trello is the most visual way for teams to collaborate on any project.
Pricing: Free for personal use, $9.99 user/month for businesses
Check out this Trello alternative!
Redmine is an open source project management tool, made highly flexible by its volunteer community.
- Gantt charts and calendar for planning
- News feed and document & file management
- Features for planning product roadmaps
- Email notifications
- Simple time tracking
What’s special about this tool: Redmine is an open-source tool and has multilanguage support which might become handy. However, to use this PM tool, you first need to download it.
12. ZOHO PROJECTS
Zoho Projects is one of the best-known tools for simple project management, that can help teams streamline their upcoming work and tasks.
- Task lists with multiple tasks and milestones
- Time tracking and time sheets
- Gantt charts to oversee project progress
- Document and file management
What’s special about this tool: Zoho projects can be integrated with Zoho CRM and other tools to manage almost every aspect of your agency in one system.
Pricing: Up to 20 projects $25/month, unlimited projects $99/month; CRM and other additional features come with an extra price.
WorkBook is a software suite for project and resource management, CRM, collaboration and file sharing, forecasting & accounting.
- Project and tasks lists
- Gantt charts
- Sales pipeline
- Client portal
- Financial features like budgets, forecasts, and automatic billing
What’s special about this tool: Not all clients have the same needs. WorkBook lets you choose exactly what modules that suit your needs and only pay for what you use.
Pricing: $19 user/month, minimum 30 users
FunctionFox has many helpful project management features, such as milestone tracking and budget comparison. It also has a nice user interface, making it pleasant to use.
- Scheduling unlimited tasks, and meetings
- Interactive real-time reporting
- Projects with sub-tasks and milestones
- Budget estimations
- To-do lists and time-tracking
What’s special about this tool: FunctionFox lets users create visual management dashboards that can be customized according to personal preferences. It’s a great way to get a quick overview of your upcoming work and your team’s results.
Pricing: From $5 user/month ($35/month for 1st user)
Nutcache is an all-in-one project management tool that includes time tracking and invoicing features. It was built for small teams that bill their clients on a project basis.
- Project management and tasks
- Time tracking and time billing
- Expense management
- Linking projects and finished tasks to clients
What’s interesting about this tool: Nutcache has a good-looking user interface, excellent for team collaboration and simple project management.
Pricing: Free up to 20 users (limited features), $6 user/month for project management features, $15 user/month for unlimited features
WORKetc has integrated CRM, projects, billing, helpdesk, reporting, and collaboration.
- Link timesheets, documents, discussions, notes, contacts and more to your projects
- Manage complex project budgets
- Automatically capture and invoice all revenue activities across all departments
- Use live support, web forms, and email to capture support tickets
What’s special about this tool: By integrating support cases directly inside of all areas of WORKetc, you can ensure the customer is always looked after. Suddenly your sales people are talking with your customer support people, and project issues can be assigned to the right person.
Pricing: From $49 user/month (first 3 users $65/month)
Check out this WORKetc alternative!
Cage is all about improving the way creative teams collaborate and work. It helps your team to manage projects, and have active discussions.
- Manage and create projects
- Make notes and comments under tasks
- Keep track of all revisions
- Get approvals from clients
- Have video conversations
- Password protection for your projects
What’s special about this tool: Cage combines project management and efficient collaboration. You can plan projects and organize video calls by using this one PM tool.
Pricing: From $49/month for teams
Paymo offers a simple yet powerful tool bringing together project management, work reporting, and time billing.
- Tracking the time spent on tasks and projects
- Thorough work reports
- Dashboard to see your team’s performance
- Billing customers for completed tasks
- Integrated project accounting
What’s interesting about this tool: With Paymo Plus, you can automate your time tracking completely. All you need to do is download the desktop app, let it track your PC usage, and at the end of each day, categorize all your time entries.
Pricing: Free and paid plans from $9.56 user/month
Brightpod is a web-based project management & time tracking software for digital marketing & creative teams.
- Projects with tasks, priorities, and milestones
- Editorial calendar
- Logging time under each task
- Individual dashboards for team members
- In-app communication and file-sharing
What’s special about this tool: When creating a project, your can use pre-set Pod templates for a faster set-up and customized project experience.
Pricing: From $29/month for 10 users
LiquidPlanner is a collaboration tool that combines project management and time-tracking.
- Estimating a realistic range of time to complete tasks
- Commenting on tasks and schedule
- Task-specific collaboration boards
- Adding notes to projects
What’s special about this tool: LiquidPlanner has an interesting methodology for project management – it helps teams to set realistic deadlines based on best-case and worst-case scenarios.
Pricing: From $39 user/month, billed annually
Weekdone is a weekly reporting and goal setting tool for small teams, that enables managers and leaders to get a clear overview of both short- and long-term progress.
- Weekly status reporting
- Quarterly Objectives and Key Results (OKRs)
- Graphical metric dashboard
- Private 1-on-1 feedback
What’s special about this tool: When most project tools focus on either weekly status reporting or long-term goal-setting, Weekdone covers both of these. Employees can link their weekly tasks with quarterly objectives, so that their work is focused on the right objectives.
Pricing: Free for small teams, from $49/month for larger teams
Bitrix24 offers a complete suite of social collaboration, communication and management tools for your team.
- Social intranet for internal communication
- Gantt charts
- Employee workload management
- Customer relationship management
- Telephone integration
What’s special about this tool: Bitrix24 has a large set of features, from traditional project management to integrated telephone and HR system, or internal email.
Pricing: Free plan, paid plans with more storage from $39/month
Check out this Bitrix24 Alternative!
Redbooth lets you manage your projects the way you want, with kanban boards or lists to organize tasks, and time tracking to see where your day goes. Or, if you’re not sure where to start, there’s a library of project templates to start your projects out in a click.
- Simple project & task planning
- Shared virtual team workspaces
- HD video conferencing for collaboration
- Productivity reports for managers and team leaders
- iOS or Android applications
What’s special about this tool: Unlike most PM tools, Redbooth’s business package gives you everything you need to see and hear your team members. You’ll get the tools for unlimited high-definition video conferencing, direct messaging, voice calling, and business chat to stay on top of everyone’s schedule.
Pricing: From $5 user/month
24. Microsoft Project
Microsoft Project helps to streamline project, resource, and portfolio management. This project tool is used by 20+ million users.
- Project scheduling & costing
- Resource management
- Reporting & business intelligence
- Built-in project templates
- Project timelines
What’s special about this tool:
Pricing: From $30 month/user for cloud platform, from $1,159 for on-premise software (for one PC)
Check out this Microsoft Project alternative!
Barvas provides guidance on the key practical steps to take in order to deliver projects successfully.
- Task management with task board
- Mind mapping tools
- Internal communication
- Shared workspace
What’s special about this tool: Barvas offers a mind mapping feature, excellent for brainstorming or idea generation.
Pricing: From $5.85 user/month
ClickUp is a project management platform that’s focused on efficient task management. Built for teams of all sizes and industries, ClickUp’s fully customizable features make it a must-have for agile teams that want to keep everything from design to development in one intuitive place.
- 3 different views (Board, Box, List)
- Assign comments
- 52 customizable features for each project (Statuses, Assignees, ClickUps)
- Elegant hierarchy to keep projects simple as they grow
- Tools like ‘Smart Search’ and ‘Smart Estimates’ make you more productive over time
What’s special about this tool: ClickUp’s beautiful design and unprecedented user experience in an otherwise dull space echoes what Slack did to communication.
Pricing: Free for up to 100MB, Premium for $5 user/month
Avaza is a simple project management tool that lets you collaborate on projects with both your team and customers. In addition, you’ll be able to track your time and bill your customers.
- Task management on a cardboard-style interface
- Automatic task reminders
- Flexible time tracking and timesheet approvals
- Sending quotes & invoices in moments
What’s special about this tool: Each project in Avaza has a user-friendly email address. Simply forward emails from your Avaza-registered email address to instantly convert these into tasks.
Pricing: Start free with up to 5 projects, $39.95 for unlimited projects
Teamweek is a timeline-based project management tool that lets teams schedule their upcoming tasks and meetings into a shared calendar.
- Simple project management
- Gantt-chart interface
- Drag-and-drop task management
- Scheduling work hour by hour
- Overseeing your team members’ availability
What’s special about this tool: Teamweek serves as an add-on to more comprehensive project management tools, making time-scheduling super easy. If you’re looking for a cool time planning tool, check it out!
Pricing: Free for up to 5 members, $39 for larger teams
29. 10,000ft Plans
10,000ft Plans is a visual project management application with strong features in resource planning and forecasting.
- Resource management
- Project and task management
- Task delegation
- Project and resource matching
- Detailed project reporting
- Time tracking
What’s special about this tool: 10,000ft gives a broad overview of every project, making it easier to schedule, plan, and estimate the outcome. With a beautiful interface, this tool is suitable for creative agencies of all sizes.
Pricing: From $10 user/month
30. Teamwork Projects
Teamwork Projects enhances team collaboration and helps creative teams to organize their work and tasks.
- Project planning on Gantt charts
- Time tracking and reporting
- Customizable features on each project
- Task lists with sub-tasks
- Milestone management
- Comprehensive user permissions
What’s special about this tool: Teamwork Projects is easy to use and packed with features. The tool integrates seamlessly with Teamwork.com’s other two products; Teamwork Desk and Teamwork Chat.
Pricing: From $49/month
Freedcamp will help you, whether you have wedding plans, organizing a camping trip or leading a work project. Working from home or at the office.
- Task lists & status management
- Shared team calendar
- Project templates
- Issue tracker
What’s special about this tool: Like sticky notes? You’re in luck! Freedcamp uses kanban board with sticky notes to manage tasks.
Pricing: Free plan, paid add-ons
Advantage is a project management software designed for a great user experience – clean interface and simple functionality.
- Manage time, tasks, and expenses
- Automate and expedite work
- Manage media
- Manage prospect and client activities
- Get thorough reports and forecasts
What’s special about this tool: Advantage is most suitable for agencies.
Pricing: Upon request
33. Easy Project
Easy Project is easy, visual and intuitive project management software.
- Gantt chart
- Risk management
- Portfolio management
- Project templates
What’s special about this tool: Easy Project is a fit for a number of different industries, from IT & software development to education or voluntary projects.
ProWorkflow makes it a breeze to assign staff, track time or reschedule projects.
- Dashboard for an overview of your workload
- Allocate tasks
- View workload across teams
- Manage contacts
- Share files
- Manage invoices and quotes
What’s special about this tool: Convenient mobile application lets your track time, communicate, and complete tasks on the move.
Pricing: From $22 month/user for teams
Check out this ProWorkflow alternative!
Smartsheet is excellent for managing and automating collaborative work.
- Project plans and schedule
- Program rollups
- Resource management
- Budget tracking
- Strategic planning
What’s special about this tool: Smartsheet is trusted by over 50% of the Fortune 500.
Pricing: From $15 month/user for teams
Check out this Smartsheet alternative!
Celoxis offers a comprehensive project management software for enterprises.
- Advanced scheduling
- Gantt charts
- Project tracking
- Financial management
- Reporting analytics
What’s special about this tool: Depending on your team’s needs, Celoxis offers both SaaS and On-Premise options.
Pricing: From $25 user/month for cloud solution, $450/user for on-premise solution
Insightly is a powerful CRM with a project and business management feature set.
- Manage leads, contacts, organizations, partners, vendors and suppliers
- Track project activity and performance against milestones
- Look at your business any way you want with task dashboard, activity sets, reports and more
What’s special about this tool: Insightly CRM is tailored for any level of experience – from first time CRM users to sales experts.
Pricing: From $15 month/user for teams
38. Copper Project
Copper Project simplifies work processes as an affordable and invaluable executive tool, from Large multi-national projects to small home-based ventures.
- Collaborative project and task views
- Project templates
- Task timers
- File sharing
What’s special about this tool: Copper offers simplicity in project resource management and communication.
Pricing: From $49/month
Clarizen‘s cloud-based project management software has a single goal: to help move your business forward.
- Unlimited number of projects
- Automated and repeatable processes, alerts and workflows
- Social collaboration
- Budget tracking & expense management
What’s special about this tool: Clarizen offers configurable workflows – customize Clarizen to fit how your enterprise does business, not the opposite.
Pricing: From $60 user/month
Highrise is the just-right, more thoughtful way to keep track of the people, conversations, and tasks that are the lifelines of your business
- Store important emails
- Attach documents and files
- Control who sees what with easy privacy settings
- Keep track of important tasks
- Assign tasks to team members
What’s special about this tool: Highrise was designed to simplify your workflow, no more, no less – as simple as that!
Pricing: From $24/month for small teams, from $49/month for larger teams
42. ACTIVE COLLAB
Active Collab helps your team stay organized while you outgrow email.
- Time tracking and invoicing
- Gantt-like timeline for planning
- Kanban cards
- Creating tasks with multiple users and deadlines
- A shared team calendar for collaboration
What’s interesting about this tool: Active Collab is especially great for collaboration, with functions like collaborative text editing and @mentions for communication.
Pricing: From $25/month for cloud version, from $499 for the self-hosted version
- The Ultimate Project Management Checklist for Faultless Projects
- 16 Essential Project KPIs That Benefit the Entire Team
- How to Find the Best Project Planning Software?
- 79-point Guide to Getting Started with New Software
As always, we’d love to hear about your experiences with project management software. Leave your comments below!