20 Best Online PR Tools (The Ultimate List)
THE PUBLIC RELATIONS INDUSTRY is constantly changing and evolving, even more so in the digital age. Social media is rapidly taking over the print media, and as the influencers have moved online, that’s where the most action takes place.
New media channels appear daily, and old PR methods just don’t cut it anymore. Whether you work in a PR firm or an in-house public relations department, the message is clear: to benefit from the flood of information, you must step up your game and take advantage of all the amazing PR tools available.
Management & Collaboration
Your network of journalists and bloggers is a highly valuable asset. But are you making it work for you?
Mustr helps you and your team organize your network of journalists and bloggers. That way, you can concentrate on improving your relationship with them.
- Know who your friends and detractors are in the media, and what is your history with them.
- Target exactly the journalists and bloggers you need with your PR campaigns.
- Keep ownership of your media and blogger database, even if you work with an agency.
- E-mail press releases with high res images and attachments.
- Have access to your network of journalists and bloggers at all times.
Pricing: From $54/month with a free 15-day trial.
- Overview of each client and influencer with linked projects and communication history
- Task management, to-do lists, notifications, and reminders
- Budgets & invoicing
- Detailed reports in real-time
- Integrates with your favorite tools
Pricing: From $22/user with a free 14-day trial.
Prezly helps corporate communication teams speed up their workflow with a platform for newsrooms, contact management, and outreach: the better way to do stakeholder communication.
- Get to know your brand’s stakeholders with a CRM made for PR.
- Get better results and reach stakeholders quickly with beautiful multimedia emails.
- Create slick, attractive and super-functional online newsrooms.
Pricing: From $150/month.
Cision is a full-featured PR software. It’s database contains more than 1.6 million journalists, influencers, and editorial contacts. The platform provides advanced distribution, tracking, and analyzing features to makes sure you never miss a mention or fail to prove the value of your agency’s PR efforts.
- Access in-depth media profiles
- Monitor digital, broadcast and print outlets
- Send press releases via web, wire & email
- Gauge effectiveness with real-time reports
Pricing: Upon request.
Answer the Public
“Consumer insight for PR in the Age of Google.”
Answer the Public is a simple yet valuable tool with one purpose – understanding the questions people have about a certain topic.
When you start typing into Google (or Bing, if you’re into that), it tries to guess what you’re thinking about before you’ve even finished. The recommendations are triggered by two things: search volume, and mention volume. These suggestions are the data points which feed Answer the Public. You type in a concept or a topic, and it visualizes questions people have around that topic.
- Search for questions related to a keyword
- Find out which questions people are asking from Google
- Filter by country, popularity, type of question or preposition
Mashfeed helps you cut through the clutter of the top social media sites so you can focus on the content that matters to you most.
- Create your own collections that include your favorite feeds from Instagram, Twitter, YouTube & Facebook (even the ones you don’t follow).
- Browse through thousands of quality collections created by other users when you are looking for new content to enjoy.
- Track all of your campaigns across social media in one place through collections that include relevant hashtags and keywords.
Meltwater is a media intelligence tool for strategic planning, connecting with the audience, and measuring success. The PR solution helps to stay on top of billions of real-time editorial, blog, and social media conversations, and extract the insights you need to understand and drive brand perception for your company.
- Track your brand, your competition, and relevant news in real time.
- Discover news, media contacts, competitors, trends, and more.
- Build and maintain meaningful relationships, whether you’re connecting on social or distributing press releases to targeted influencer lists.
- Analyze which campaigns worked and which ones didn’t. Build dashboards and measure success.
Pricing: Pricing on request
BuzzSumo is designed to help you discover content that your audience wants to engage with and identify influencers to reach out to.
Simply enter a topic into the search bar, and BuzzSumo delivers recent top articles on the subject. The sharing information for each article provides good insight into what articles people think are worthwhile, making it an excellent resource for content promotion, curation and article development.
- Analyze what content performs best for any topic or competitor
- Find the key influencers to promote your content
- Break down each person’s influence by domain authority, the number of followers, etc.
Pricing: From $99/month
Pitching Notes (the Yelp or TripAdvisor for media relations) is an online community offering PR pros the chance to share experiences and tips on how to pitch specific journalists, in the form of reviews.
- A growing directory of journalists’ contact info (including major publications like the Huffington Post, Mashable, and TechCrunch)
- Reviews and notes on how to best pitch certain journalists
- Create an online profile for yourself where you can display your (or your clients’) expertise. Your profile can then be searched by reporters looking for expert sources and story ideas.
Hemingway App is an interactive editing tool that calls out grammar errors, the use of passive voice and improves the overall readability of your writing. It’s an excellent tool for improving outreach messages.
This post got a readability grade of 9. Yay!
- Highlights long, complex sentences and common errors
- Helps with conciseness and suggests more descriptive words
- Calls out “Readability” and gives you a grade
Pricing: Free. Desktop version $9.99
CoSchedule Headline Analyzer
The Headline Analyzer will score your overall headline quality and rate its ability to result in social shares, increased traffic, and SEO value. Chances are, if you have a catchy headline that speaks to users, your outreach message will get a click!
- Measure the quality of a headline or subject line
- Preview how it will look like in an email
Canva is a simplified version of Adobe Photoshop and InDesign geared towards generating social posts, blog graphics, Twitter headers, Facebook ads and the like. Create stunning visuals with no design skills needed.
- Choose among design templates or create from scratch
- A library of more than a million icons, fonts, and photos
Pricing: Free & paid from $9.95/month
Pexels is a free, CC0 License (to be used for any purpose) stock photo resource of beautiful photos from various categories.
- Find free photos for both personal and commercial use
- Modify, copy and distribute the photos if needed
- All without asking for permission or setting a link to the source
Pitchengine allows you to take control of the presentation of your pitch. Upload your images, video, and embeds into Pitchengine, choose a style that fits your content, and Pitchengine optimizes it for the best presentation on desktops and mobile devices.
- Create a beautifully designed pitch with no skills
- Optimized pitch for the best presentation on desktop and mobile devices
- Embed the pitch on your website or blog and share it
- Track the pitch and learn what type of messages get the most engagement
Pricing: Free with ads, ad-free starting from $79/month.
MailTrack.io is an extension for Gmail that enables you to quickly scan whether your messages were opened and how many people read the email right within your normal inbox interface.
- Know who and when opened your email, even among multiple recipients.
- Real-time desktop notifications.
Pricing: Free with MailTrack.io signature, a signature-free version from $4.5/month.
Followupthen is a simple email address that alerts you when you need to send an email response. Use it to set up to-do lists for others, send reminders to yourself, and clear clutter from your inbox. When you’re sending a message, bcc email@example.com (or any other date) so you’re automatically reminded to send a follow-up a week later!
- Schedule the right information to appear at exactly the right time – contact info, links, boarding passes, etc.
- Use a response detection feature to make sure your email doesn’t get lost.
- Scheduling automatic reminders for as many as 15 people at once.
- Delegate tasks, or automatically follow up only if they don’t respond.
- Placing one FollowUpThen email address in the ‘bcc’ field is all you need to schedule a follow-up reminder.
Pricing: Free & paid from $2/month
Email Hunter finds email addresses across the web via the company’s website domain.
- Just enter a domain name and find out the available emails on that domain
- API for developers
Pricing: Free & paid from $49/month
HARO (Help a Reporter Out) provides journalists with a robust database of sources for upcoming stories and daily opportunities for sources to secure valuable media coverage.
- Get query emails broken down by topic/industry in your inbox 3x a day
Pricing: Free & paid from $19/month
Anewstip is a tool for finding relevant media contacts from the world’s largest database, indexing more than 200 million news articles and 1 billion tweets from more than 1 million media contacts.
- Search for relevant media contacts by what they have written or tweeted.
- Monitor news articles & tweets from global media influentials
- Build media lists to organize all your media contacts
- Reach out to relevant journalists with personalized pitches
Mention lets you monitor social mentions and sentiment online to better understand how your / your client’s / a competitor’s brand is being talked about and perceived online. Mention’s influencer scores show you the most important people talking about any of your keywords. Find subject matter experts, future brand ambassadors, and grow your community.
- Monitor keywords in real-time
- Identify influencers
- Track and analyze your performance and easily create a report
- Assign tasks and sharing alerts to your colleagues within Mention
- Cross-channel campaign measurement
- Competitive analysis
- Hashtag & keyword tracking
Pricing: From $500/month & some free resources
You worked hard to earn that coverage. So when you succeed, you want to show off and get some recognition. Coverage Book compiles your coverages into beautiful coverage books in minutes and creates reports that your clients/managers will love.
- Collect and present media mentions
- Upload offline coverage or simply input the URL of the article and Coverage Book will create a screenshot
- Dashboard that shows combined views, shares, and inbound links resulting from PR efforts
Pricing: From $99/month with a 28-day free trial
In case you need a quick recap, here are all the tools
Analysis: Simply Measured
Presentation: Coverage Book
Publicists, what PR tools do you use to monitor and track the performance of your campaigns?