19 Best Online Time Tracking Tools and Software
Online time tracking tools – there are loads of them, each with a different user experience and feature set.
But which time tracker should you use?
To make the hard work of comparing time billing software easier for you, we’ve reviewed 19 paid and free options, underlying the benefits and top features.
In this list, you’ll find both the tools that only focus on time tracking as well as comprehensive time tracking software with invoicing capacities.
Ready to find your next time tracking software (and to get paid for every minute of your work)?
Scoro gives you all the tools you need for efficient time billing, including invoice templates, automated reminders, and recurring billing. But there’s more to Scoro – it serves as an all-in-one work management solution where you can manage projects, clients, and finances.
Work in a creative, digital, PR, or an advertising agency, Scoro can replace all your current tools and you’ll end up paying a lot less.
- Project management + meeting scheduling
- Task management, to-do lists, notifications and reminders
- Reporting on work, sales performance, budgets, etc.
- Invoice templates and automated monthly billing
- Emailing invoices to clients based on the hours worked
- Managing clients’ billing and communication history
Pricing: From $22 user/month
Hubstaff helps to track the time spent on work as well as your team’s leisure time. It’s a great option for organizations looking to track all the time spent at work (not just the time spent on tasks). Many companies use Hubstaff to check on their remote workers and to deliver payments based on the time worked.
- Tracking the time spent on tasks with screenshots
- Tracking the time spent on websites + desktop apps
- Reporting on the team’s time usage
- Billing clients for projects
- Emailing custom reports to clients
- Making payments to employees based on the time worked
- Keyboard & mouse activity level data
What’s interesting about this tool: In addition to the time worked, Hubstaff also tracks the time spent on various websites and desktop applications. You will get reports on your team’s time usage and can monitor how they spend their time.
Pricing: From $49/Month for 10 users
FreshBooks wants to make your accounting job easier, providing you with the tools for invoicing, expense tracking, and time management. You can automate most of your billing activities and have more time left for projects and meetings.
- Time tracking and billing for work
- Automatically importing and categorizing expenses from bank accounts and credit cards.
- Auto-billing clients’ credit cards
- Capturing expenses with a mobile app
- Reports on received payments and billing history
What’s interesting about this tool: FreshBooks is more than a time billing tool – it also helps you with expense management ensuring that all client-related expenses will be billed for.
Pricing: Evergreen plan $29.95/month (bill up to 200 clients), Mighty Oak plan $39.95/month (bill an unlimited number of clients)
Freckle has been commented by their client as “ridiculously easy time tracking that our team actually uses”.
- Time tracking
- Timesheets (can be exported)
- Dashboard that shows your time expenditure
- Categorizing people and running reports
- Invoicing and billing for the time worked
- Mac timer app, iPhone app, mobile web app
What’s interesting about this tool: Freckle uses tags to track projects and to navigate between billable and non-billable tasks. This makes adding time entries a quick and easy process.
Pricing: Team plan starts with 5 users $49/month
5. Tick & QuickBooks Online
Sometimes, two tools are better than one. Tick is a time tracking app that integrates seamlessly with QuickBooks. Monitor your team’s time usage with Tick and bill your client with QuickBooks.
- Running timers to track the time worked on tasks
- Mobile apps and browser extensions for time tracking
- Budget feedback based on time cards
- Integration with QuickBooks for sending invoices
- Integration with all 3 Basecamp versions
What’s interesting about this tool: Tick permits to track time to hit budgets for customers that do value billing. But if you’re already using QuickBooks, you can use this tool to efficiently invoice for your time as well.
Pricing: 10 open projects $19 / month, 30 open projects $49 / month, 60 open projects $79 / month, unlimited projects $149 / month
If you’re looking for a simple yet powerful time management tool, Paymo might have the answer. The tool brings project management, work reporting, and time billing under one roof, making it easier to get an overview of your team’s performance
- Tracking the time spent on tasks and projects
- Thorough work reports
- Dashboard to see your team’s performance
- Billing customers for completed tasks
- Mobile and desktop apps for accurate time tracking
What’s interesting about this tool: With Paymo Plus, you can automate the time tracking completely. All you need to do is download the desktop app, set it up, and at the end of each day, categorize all your time entries.
Pricing: $8.95/user per month + project accounting add-on for $9.95 per month
7. Replicon TimeBill
Like Scoro that was mentioned before, Replicon is a large multi-feature solution that includes various project tools. Replicon’s TimeBill helps companies to track the time spent on work and bill their clients for finished projects.
- Time tracking and timesheets
- Project and task management
- Project budgeting and expense management
- Analytics on time usage
- Multiple billing rates for different users
What’s interesting about this tool: Replicon appeals to large organizations, looking to manage their employees’ time more efficiently. The tool helps to get a comprehensive overview of every minute spent at work.
Pricing: Replicon TimeBill costs €20 user/month with additional features for HR €8 user/month
8. eBillity + Xero
If you’re already using Xero or QuickBooks, you can benefit from their integration with eBillity. This simple online time tracking tool allows you to record time from any device, delivering timesheets based on your work.
- Tracking time from any device, including offline work
- Timesheets with billing and payroll approval
- Monitoring employee activity
- Productivity reports
- Tracking time worked for specific customers
What’s interesting about this tool: eBillity is a simple time tracking tool. But by integrating it to Xero, you’ll be able to turn your timesheets into branded invoices and forward these to your customers.
Pricing: Time Tracker $9.95/month for the first user + additional users for extra fee, Time Tracker +Billing $19.95/month for the first user + additional users for extra fee
9. Active Collab
Active Collab combines time billing with project management, making it easier to plan and track creative projects. Moreover, this tool provides features for team collaboration and real-time communication.
- Creating tasks with multiple users and deadlines
- Filtering tasks by users, dates and labels
- Commenting on tasks and mentioning colleagues
- Gantt-like timeline for planning
- A shared team calendar for collaboration
- Time tracking and sending invoices
What’s interesting about this tool: Active Collab improves the team’s collaboration and makes it more fun. Every user can set a custom theme for their platform for quick personalization.
Pricing: 5 members $25/month, 15 members $49/month, 30 members $99/month, 60 members $199/month, unlimited members $299/month
10. Zoho Invoice
Zoho Invoice is part of the Zoho Online Office Suite. You can use this tool to track time spent on tasks and invoice your clients. Combined with other Zoho tools, you’ll get a wide set of features to manage your company more effectively.
- Tracking time spent on tasks
- Sending invoices to customers (Zoho CRM integration needed)
- Automated payment reminders
- Insightful reporting on your work
- Online payments for faster invoicing
What’s interesting about this tool: As mentioned before, Zoho Invoice is part of a large software suite. If you use Zoho for managing other business processes as well, it will be a good choice for billing for your time. Otherwise, you might want to pick another tool with no strings attached to a large business suite.
Pricing: Only for Zoho Invoice (projects, CRM, etc. for extra price) STANDARD $15 organization/month, PROFESSIONAL $30 organization/month
Harvest is one of the best-known time billing tools on the market. With its simple interface and light feature-set, Harvest makes it super easy to track time and bill your clients accordingly.
- Time tracking from any browser, Mac, iPhone, or Android
- Creating estimates and invoices based on the time worked
- Real-time reports on time spent
- Integrations for tracking time across all your favourite project management tools
What’s interesting about this tool: Harvest is a time billing tool rather than online project management software. It is focused on doing one thing and doing it well.
Pricing: From $12 user/month
BillQuick has built a tool that’s easy to use even when you’re not around your computer. In addition to project management, it provides a comprehensive set of time billing features such as a time tracker, invoices, and an overview of all expenses.
- Project management and work reporting
- Generating invoices and billing clients
- Running multiple timers concurrently
- Tracking personal time off, overtime, compensation time, vacations, etc.
- Attaching pictures, documents, and web links to time and expense records
- Emailing invoices as PDFs
What’s interesting about this tool: BillQuick has a tool called Employee Workload Forecaster that let’s you see the tasks assigned to each team member.
Pricing: Professional plan $19.95 user/month, Enterprise plan (unlimited features) $24.95 user/month
ClickTime helps businesses track both billable time as well as employee time usage. You’ll get complete control over your project budgets and receive accurate timesheets.
- Online timesheets and billable time entries
- Time tracking with stopwatch
- Dynamic billing rates
- Analyzing project profit, costs, and billings
- Reporting on employee and project performance
- Forecasting the time needed for tasks
What’s interesting about this tool: ClickTime gives you more insight into your time usage than other time billing tools. It is focused on improving your team’s workflow and helps to plan your budgets and time more efficiently.
Pricing: Corporate plan (time tracking + budgeting) starts at $12 user/month (max 200 users)
Bill4time gives you the tools to better manage and organize your project workflows. With this tool, you can schedule projects, track time, and send invoices to clients.
- Track billable and non-billable time
- Get daily, weekly and monthly work summaries
- Client portal
- Invoicing and online payment options
- Extensive reporting on accounting, projects, etc.
What’s interesting about this tool: Bill4time offers a wide set of reports about the team’s productivity, project profitability, and much more.
Pricing: Pro plan (best for small teams) $30/month + $10 for each user, Enterprise plan (best for larger firms) $75/month + $20 for each user
Nutcache is an all-in-one project management tool that includes time tracking and invoicing features. It is meant for small teams that bill their clients on a project basis and are looking to plan their time more efficiently.
- Collaborating with your team
- Managing projects and tasks in an organized way
- Time tracking and billing
- Expense management
- Linking projects and finished tasks to clients
What’s interesting about this tool: Nutcache has an easy-to-use user interface, making it easier to collaborate on projects.
Pricing: Free up to 20 users (limited features), $6 user/month for project management features, $15 user/month for unlimited features
Toggl is a no-hassle time tracking software that integrates with tens of different project management and billing tools. It is the perfect add-on to your existing tools, helping you to be more productive throughout the day.
- Unlimited projects and clients
- Sub-projects for accurate time tracking
- Setting billable rates
- Shareable time reports
- Tracking time while offline
What’s interesting about this tool: Toggl is completely focused on time tracking, which means that they’re really good at it.
Pricing: From $10 user/month
17. Wrike + Harvest
Wrike is one of the best project management tools out there. Harvest is the most popular tool for time billing. Luckily, there’s a seamless integration between these two tools.
- Visualize your team’s work with reports
- Use Harvest to track the time worked and bill for it
- Plan and manage your projects and tasks in Wrike
- Manage all your project resources
What’s interesting about this tool: While Wrike doesn’t have time billing functions, it works in perfect harmony with Harvest. If you’re looking for tools to manage your work and time, these two will be a great choice.
Pricing: For Wrike: Free for up to 10 users, Professional plan for $9.80 user/month
Check out this Wrike alternative!
Journyx makes up for its average user experience with a wide set of features for time and expense tracking, resource scheduling, and Gantt Charts.
- Monitoring the time worked and the time off
- Tracking resource usage across projects and non-project activities
- Reviewing schedules in real time
- Tailored rates for individual clients, employees, and projects
- Accounting for billable and nonbillable time and expenses
What’s interesting about this tool: Journyx has customizable dashboards that let you monitor the exact information you need to know. It is also the perfect tool for those who like old-school software interfaces.
19. Teamwork Projects
Teamwork provides a wide set of project management features, including time tracking and billing for hours worked. As you start using Teamwork, you’ll get a complete overview of your team’s time usage, and can optimize your work for higher productivity.
- Estimating and tracking time spent on a project
- Custom time reports with export options
- Tracking time on the go
- Sending invoices based on the time worked
What’s interesting about this tool: The invoicing feature in Teamwork isn’t as strong as in some other tools, but it integrates with all your favorite billing tools, such as QuickBooks, Harvest, Xero, etc.
Pricing: Startup plan (up to 25 projects) $24/month, Small Office plan (up to 40 projects) $49/month, Professional plan (up to 200 projects) $149/month. More plans available on the website.
The final words
We truly hope you’ve found some interesting and helpful time billing tools to consider.
If you’re interested in project management tools, have a look at this list of Agency Project Management Tools with over 30 excellent tools for every need.
- How to Find the Best Software that Suits Your Needs
- 8 Rules (DOs and DON’Ts) of Employee Time Tracking
- 16 Time-tracking Best Practices to Get More Out of Your Time
- 79-point Guide to Getting Started with New Software
If there’s a tool you’d like to learn more about or introduce to this list, feel free to drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.